Jan 5, 2011

Dresser Redo

I wanted to show you the dresser that my husband and I refinished. My mom bought this dresser when my brother was born in the late 70's. It was a dresser/changing table. Somehow I inherited it and used it while growing up. When I was a teenager I refinished it white. The original color was a dark stain and as children we stuck our garbage pail stickers on it. My brother carved his name in it. So it was time for a refinish. As we were thinking of a dresser we could put in our loft to hold our children's Wii accessories, this dresser popped into my mind. It definitely needed a little face lift. So we took out two of the drawers and added a new center piece for support. We added a new bottom and bead board to the back and the inside sides. Painted it my favorite pull everything together color, black.
I left a lot of the character on the dresser so you might see a few rough areas. 

The finished dresser. Beautiful!

I love the decorative bottom. I purchased the baskets at Michael's for 50% off.

A picture of the decorative top.

I added these beautiful crystal nobs that I purchased at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.
Love them!

On the bottom I put this 12x12 damask self adhesive fabric paper and then mod podged over it for extra durability. This took a while because I had to make sure that the pattern lined up exactly. I also lined the drawer with the same fabric.

4 comments:

  1. That turned out gorgeous!! Well done :) And when did you start the Etsy shop?? SO cool! I want several things on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love the damask adhesive fabric! That is way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great re-do! I have an old dresser that I am planning to re-do (http://bellabdesigns.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-goals-organize-more-goal-3.html) and I love what you have done with yours!

    Wondering if you have before pictures? I was not able to access but this single post, even by clicking on your "home" button. Help.... and thanks!

    Katie Burke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a before picture and I wish that I did. When the dresser was new it was stained a dark color and it had three drawers. When I refinished it as a teenager I sanded and painted it a flat white paint. That was a bad idea because the paint didn't want to come off when I recently did the redo again. So don't use a flat paint on your dresser. Also, this is actually my very first post so that is why when you push the Home button it doesn't take you anywhere. I will definately take before pictures of my next projects! Thanks for your comment! I hope this answers your questions.

    ReplyDelete